the book, not just the kit. The book gave us a bit more information that was helpful, though in reality both the book and the kit instructions would contradict themselves and each other--but we made it work.
We "cooked" the curd then hung them to drain.
Then Jeremy took off to school for something or other related to "real work" or"progress towards graduating" or something like that and left me all alone to work from there. It probably wouldn't have been as much trouble if I hadn't decided we should use the whey to make homemade ricotta while we were at it. It has to be fresh whey so it was the only time to do it--but it was a lot of work for a little return--not as satisfying, though it did make for a delicious dinner.
So after draining the curds I broke them up, salted them, and pressed them into the cheese mold and worked on creative ways to get 20 pounds of weight in the form of 5 pound bags of flour and beans to balance on top and press it. (I think what I really need is an old weight set off craig's list.)
24 hours later we had a beautiful round of homemade farmhouse cheddar cheese. It's almost done air-drying to form a rind.
Jeremy says he's operating under the assumption that we did everything perfectly in our first try at real cheesemaking. In two months I guess we'll let you know.